Monday 23 January 2012

Following the Child

This post is part of a blog carnival.* The topic is what do you do to enjoy mothering? I had to think long and hard about this one. The real truth is that I enjoy the heck out of mothering. My wife and I have been together for over seven years and we have been dreaming of having a baby for six and a half. Making Mac was no easy task. It involved online ads looking for a donor/father, flights from New York City, artichoke jars, needleless syringes, awkward sperm hand-offs and whole lot of luck. Getting to this point was complicated but the payoff has been nothing short of utterly spectacular. When I pick him up to rock him to sleep and I feel the weight of his weary head on my shoulder my heart swells. When I fold his tiny laundry and hang miniature outfits in an organized closet I can hardly believe my blessings. And when his little hand grabs onto mine, soft and smooth having not yet been made hard or dry by the outside world my only sadness is that I cannot bottle up that feeling and put it in a scrapbook to reflect on for years to come. What do I do to enjoy mothering? What don’t I do would produce a shorter answer. Sure, there are difficult parts like a baby teething. Or mundane parts like diaper changes and wiping vomit out of my hair.  But the less-than-amazing moments whiz by and aren’t as difficult as they sound. They are like commercials during your favorite TV show. You know they will be there, you expect them, you wait through them and sometimes, if you are really paying attention, they can even be funny or sweet.



But I think this question needs a more directed answer. What do I consciously practice to make motherhood more enjoyable? The first thing that comes to my mind is that I follow my child’s lead. I came to be conscious of this practice through watching two of my favorite parenting role models. Many years ago, when their child was still in the single digits age-wise, they came to my wife and me with a request. They had watched their daughter turn into a serious tomboy and they were beginning to wonder if she would one day tell them that the closet could no longer contain her. They didn’t know if she would be gay or straight and they didn’t know if she would remain a she. But the amazing thing was that they didn’t want to stifle her choices or personhood in any way. So they asked us if we would spend some time with her so that she could see that two women could live together happily and without hardships. If she was going to come out they wanted her to do so without shame. There are tears in my eyes as I write this – tears for all of those gay, lesbian, bisexual, queer and transgender youth who didn’t win the parental lottery like little Sammie did. Tears for all of the friends I have who came out to their parents as adults only to face shame and rejection.

Of course, we were honoured by their request and enjoyed spending time with their bright and charismatic child. We invited her for a sleepover and when we were helping her unpack her tiny suitcase we noticed a neatly folded pair of boys briefs next to her orange flavored toothpaste and dinosaur pajamas. My wife, a tomboy from an early age herself, blinked back tears as she helped her set up her bed. 

My wife Tracy as a young tomboy
What foresight these parents had to simply follow their daughter’s lead. When she told them that pink underpants didn’t feel right they made a brave trek across the department store and bought the ones that fit her instead. Such a simple act done out of love but so powerful to witness. They worried for her, they tried to guide her, but when it came to the child’s fundamental understanding of herself they simply followed her lead. Mac was still years away from being a twinkle in my eye at the time but I knew in that moment that I would always, consciously, love my child for who and what he turns out to be.

At only five months old this means that I trust my son to convey his needs to me. It means that when he wakes up for the fifth time in a single night I scoop him up into my arms and bring him into the spare bed so that he can feel me next to him as he sleeps. There will come a day when the mere presence of my warm body lying next to his is no longer able to solve all of his complex problems but for now it does so I will enjoy it. 

Even on the most sleepless of nights it is still, always, a privilege to wake up to this face

Following him means that I tune into his moods and on the days when he needs to be held close he is and on the days when he’d rather spend his time on the floor exploring his toys he does. As he grows I will do my best to teach him and guide him along the way. And, of course, there are things that I hope for him. But when he comes home with a haircut that I hate or when he chooses a hobby that I’m not thrilled about I will remember my friends and how they bravely let their child become herself and I will do my best to follow his (and their) lead.

And while I truly believe that this is the best strategy I can employ for his happiness and well being it also has the unintended (but very welcome) result of making my life just a little easier. I don’t need to worry about scientific theories on parenting. I can leave those large hardcover advice books on the shelf and I can instead listen to my child’s needs and do my best to meet them. I don’t worry that my lying next to him will spoil him but instead I smell the top of his head and it feeds every cell in my body like oxygen. The pressure to be a perfect mom lifts and I don’t compare myself to other moms because there is only one Mac and we are the only ones raising him. Parenting becomes a whole lot more tranquil when I make a conscious effort to follow my child.

As the years pass the ways that I follow my child will bend and shift. There will be times that he needs more guidance from us and times when he needs the space to carve out his own path. But the principle will remain the same. And if you are wondering how it turned out for Sammie and her parents she is now one of the most self-aware and self-confident teenagers I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. And when she found her first girlfriend she was able to tell her parents without shame or fear. And with that kind of foundation there is absolutely no telling what that kid will do with her future. Just as her parents have provided us with an example we can look up to, she will be a role model for Mac as he grows into the person he’s meant to be. I look forward to seeing the adults they will both become but I am not rushing the process. Today I am just smelling my baby’s head and listening for his cues. 


*I have deleted the link to the blog carnival that this post was associated with because I has been bringing in far too many negative comments. Please note that my marriage and "lifestyle" are not up for debate.




35 comments:

  1. Oh brilliant, again. I will share this on my page on FB as I have spent the last many years working with expectant and new mamas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I sound repetitive Kris but I *love* your blog, this one especially. I hope I can let go enough of what I want for our baby to be able to listen to what she needs and wants in her lifetime. Really well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are gonna rock mama-hood my friend! I can't wait to see it!

      Delete
  3. You are an inspiration! Love it!....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO glad that I have stumbled upon your blog :)

    My wife is 14 weeks pregnant with our first, so we are at the beginning of this beautiful journey.

    What I have read so far has been beautifully written and inspiring - thank you!

    Now... To make another cup of tea and settle in to read your other posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice thing to say - thank-you! Congratulations on the pregnancy! I hope you are both enjoying this time!

      Delete
  5. You're right - we did blog about super simple themes! Trust - it's an easy thing to say but a hard thing to do sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written from a beautiful heart. I love this! Tucking it away in my own heart. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "And while I truly believe that this is the best strategy I can employ for his happiness and well being it also has the unintended (but very welcome) result of making my life just a little easier." I was surprised to learn the same thing! So often people act like it's a terrible to have to follow my daughter's cues. Meanwhile, I've never felt freer.

    So beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! It takes the pressure off doesn't it? Following can often be be so much easier than leading.

      Delete
  8. Just lovely. At first I was thinking that tuning into our child's needs can be more challenging because it messes with my preconceived ideas of how the day should go sometimes, but then you surprised me and said it was easy. And you're right. If I just go into the day with the mind to tend to my child's cues, we will both be much happier. And I can put all those books away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go-with-the-flow-parenting ... it can be so hard for those of who like control (ahem, me). But I have so much freedom in trusting myself and trusting my son. Thank-you for your comment.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing your journey. Bless you as you raise your son.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and for your kind words. I love how you cherish each moment (even the fleeting vomit-tastic ones) with your baby boy. I am inspired to love them more for the unique little people God designed them to be. :) Karen at River Into Words

    ReplyDelete
  11. I kept trying to leave a comment but was having trouble in Google Chrome. Then I saw your comment on EM and came back. I'm so sorry. It makes me crazy angry and disappointed. But thank you for being you and writing one of the best posts, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for your anger. I'll take your acceptance but don't waste your anger on me. My life has allowed me to form a backbone that allows me to stand tall without having to answer to anyone who doesn't have my heart.

      Delete
  12. Kristin, I just emailed you to the address that I had for you. Hope you get it soon! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristin, your son and your wife are lucky to have such a committed and conscious person in their lives. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tears! This is absolutely beautiful. It's exactly what I was trying to convey in my love over fear post, but you said it 1000% more succinctly and poetically. THANK YOU for sharing and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

    The difficult parts "are like commercials during your favorite TV show." What a perfect metaphor. Peace and love to you and your beautiful family. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a great post !! my niece and her partner are about to journey down the path to have a baby.I will be forwarding this post and your blog to them!!Thank you for your honesty..Bravo !! to those who aren't so nice ,as my mom would say,"for Shame " !! Thank you again , Brenda Shaw

    ReplyDelete
  16. Came here from Sarah's carnival to see what on earth people were bothering you about. All I see in your post is beauty. Thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh this love that you speak, that you are putting into action. gah. just beautiful. truly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What makes your blog special is that you so obviously write from the heart. After reading just one post, I am hooked. Not only are you a wise and wonderful parent Mac is lucky to have, you are also a very, very talented writer. God bless you and your beautiful family. Lots of love from Kajari, India

    ReplyDelete
  19. Might I ask just what happened to Sammie? You've piqued my curiosity.

    ReplyDelete

Share this post!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...